Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Be part of the team building one of the defining start-ups of our generation, and using technology to fix the housing market and solve a problem affecting a large fraction of all property sales.
This is a senior role and you'll bring with you experience in reliable data-processing & engineering best practices
Who we are
Nested is a London based company rebuilding the process of selling your home from the ground up, by offering an advance which allows the seller to become chain free and start buying their new home before they've sold the old one. So far we've helped over 100 people secure their dream home. You can read some of their stories here.
That's just the start though. We know there's huge demand for our product, and the challenge now is to scale the company to tap into it. We can't do that without data.
How do we work
We believe in building things properly. That means ensuring we stick to the best engineering practices. Our data infrastructure is based on Python with data being made available via SQL and Elasticsearch.
We also believe in continually learning from each other and from what we do, for example, through weekly learning sessions. It'd be short-sighted to stick with whatever was in our heads when we all started at Nested - to achieve what we're trying to do requires a lot more than that.
What would you be working on
We want to truly be a data-driven organisation. We use data to make informed decisions about property, areas, even our own processes and performance. We need to give everyone timely access to the data they need, from analysts to data-scientists to simply those who are curious!
But, having got people hooked on data, we need to ensure that it's always available and correct, we need to ensure that our data-pipelines are robust and operating correctly.
We think you’ll probably:
- Have a background in software engineering, for example, by having worked as part of a product oriented engineering team in the past.
- Have hands-on experience building and maintaining data infrastructure. This doesn’t necessarily mean at ‘big data’ scale, or using cutting edge machine learning algorithms, but you should be thoroughly familiar with Linux, ETL pipelines and SQL databases.
- Take a scientific, evidence oriented approach to product development.
Things which would be useful, but not essential:
- Have experience working in an early stage start-up.
Got any questions? Want to know more about the role or team before hitting that red of blue button at the bottom of the page? Get in touch with Sujay (lead data engineer) directly by emailing him at [email protected]
- Generous stock options grant, so your hard work literally pays off!
- Flexible working. Most of the team work from home a day a week (WFH Wednesdays) so you can skip the journey in at least one day per week
- £3,000 budget to make sure you’ve got your perfect work set-up
- Generous personal development budget, and dedicated company-wide learning days focused on employee growth (£1,000 per person per year)
- We pay competitively, with regular pay reviews
- 4% employer contribution. We use Welplan as our provider.
- Health insurance which includes gym discounts, health and dental care
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support
- Get some well-deserved rest with 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- Breakfast, coffee and snacks are all on hand in the office to keep you fuelled
- Monthly team events
- Plus, if you’re ever buying or selling a home we’re pretty good at helping with this as well :-)
Our interview process consists of
- An initial phone screen (30 minutes)
- A more in-depth technical phone screen or face to face (45-60 minutes)
- on-site interview where you'll get to spend time with people you'd be working with day to day. (NB. We understand it's a big ask to take this much time out and don't believe in unpaid labour, so as a small thank you we pay generous expenses.)
We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions, and we won't make you code on a whiteboard!