Director or VP of Engineering
Director or VP of Engineering
Be part of the team building one of the defining companies of our generation, and using technology to fix the housing market and solve a problem affecting a large fraction of all property sales.
Who are we?
Nested enables homeowners to buy their new home before they sell their old one, adding real value to people struggling with a flawed housing process (see our trustpilot reviews for examples). We’re growing fast, recognised as one of the hottest London tech startups and headed by seasoned founders from two of London’s biggest startup success stories (GoCardless & Songkick).
On the surface our proposition looks simple, but behind the scenes this involves significant technical and data challenges. How do we best predict house liquidity? Which third party agents provide the most value to customers? How do we manage our own risk profile? Difficult questions like these are pivotal to our business. This is why we invest heavily in a world-class team and a current, well-maintained stack. Check out our team, stack, and tech blog to learn more about our work at Nested and why we believe in keeping tech debt to an absolute minimum.
How would you contribute?
With a confirmed product fit and growing customer base, Our current objectives focus on scaling while continually improving our service:
- Wow our customers with our offering
- Accelerate our growth
- Ensure we remain lean while we grow
You will be responsible for managing, developing and growing the software engineering team responsible for meeting these targets. The team currently consists of 11 talented engineers, but we expect that to grow to 25-30 by the end of 2018.
As well as looking after the people side of delivering software, you'll also be responsible for delivery management and ensuring that quality standards are maintained.
This is a senior role, and we expect you to have proven experience leading high performing software engineering teams at scale, including managing managers. We also ask for:
- A strong desire to build and develop great people.
- Experience attracting and onboarding talent.
- Enough hands-on technical experience to be an effective leader.
- Up-to-date experience in delivery management and quality practices.
- The ability to work well in cross-discipline teams and build strong relationships with senior leaders in other disciplines, especially product management, design and marketing.
- Experience being accountable for metrics and targets.
- The ability to effectively report and manage upwards to the CxO and board level.
With great responsibility comes great reward...
- Competitive pay with regular pay reviews
- Generous stock options that really mean something. We consider ourselves a scale-up, not a start-up
- £3,000 budget to get you set up, and a £1,000 annual budget for self development, we invest in our people
- The opportunity to be part of and learn from a world-class team, including the founders of two of London’s most successful startups, an Elixir core contributor, an ex-Google designer and many other extremely talented folks.
- Pension scheme (4% employer contribution)
- Health insurance which includes gym discounts, health and dental care
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support
- Get some well-deserved rest with 27 days holiday + bank holidays
As this is a senior role, expect there to be multiple interview rounds after an initial phone screen. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions though!