Senior Software Developer
Senior Software Developer
Be part of the team building one of the defining start-ups of our generation, and using technology to fix the housing market and solve a problem affecting a large fraction of all property sales.
Who are we?
Nested enables homeowners to buy their new home before they sell their old one, adding real value to people struggling with a flawed housing process (see our trustpilot reviews for examples). We’re growing fast, recognised as one of the hottest London tech startups and headed by seasoned founders from two of London’s biggest startup success stories (GoCardless & Songkick).
On the surface our proposition looks simple, but behind the scenes this involves significant technical and data challenges. How do we best predict house liquidity? Which third party agents provide the most value to customers? How do we manage our own risk profile? Difficult questions like these are pivotal to our business. This is why we invest heavily in a world-class team and a current, well-maintained stack. Check out our team, stack, and tech blog to learn more about our work at Nested and why we believe in keeping tech debt to an absolute minimum.
How would you contribute?
With a confirmed product fit and growing customer base, Our current objectives focus on scaling while continually improving our service:
- Wow our customers with our offering
- Accelerate our growth
- Ensure we remain lean while we grow
You would join one of our multi-disciplinary teams driving these targets. This could involve anything from helping to build the data pipelines that drive analysis, augmenting our operations team to ensure we differentiate our service with tech, or supporting our growth team with innovative forms of outreach. Our teams are continually evolving and we always invest in automation, so work will never get repetitive.
As a senior engineer it’s your responsibility to guide the development of our systems in autonomous teams. This means designing and developing highly scalable / maintainable / reliable / secure solutions, driving best practices and mentoring junior members to continually bring up the average ability of your team. As a senior you will also have impact across the organisation, helping to set and agree technology choices and approaches using your expertise on the topic.
This is an important role, with significant impact on the quality of our systems and thus our service as a whole, which is why we have high expectations:
- Strong experience designing and developing systems at scale
- Demonstrable senior technical ability in your respective domain
- The ability to lead developers and instill best practices
- Able to work well in cross-discipline teams
- Comfortable taking accountability for metrics / targets
By the way, you don’t need to know our stack (Elixir / Ruby / React). We care more about your ability and potential than the skills you have today, which means we’ll train you on anything needed to succeed.
With great responsibility comes great reward…
- Generous stock options that really mean something. We consider ourselves a scale-up, not a start-up
- Competitive pay with regular pay reviews
- £3,000 budget to get you set up, and a £1,000 annual budget for self development, we invest in our people
- The opportunity to be part of and learn from a world class team, including the founders of two of London’s most successful startups, an Elixir core contributor, an ex-google designer and many other extremely talented folks.
- Pension scheme (4% employer contribution)
- Health insurance which includes gym discounts, health and dental care
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support
- Get some well-deserved rest with 27 days holiday + bank holidays
Check out more info on our remuneration package here.
Our interview process consists of
- An initial phone screen (30 minutes)
- A more in-depth technical phone screen or face to face (45-60 minutes)
- on-site interview where you'll get to spend time with people you'd be working with day to day. (NB. We understand it's a big ask to take this much time out and don't believe in unpaid labour, so as a small thank you we pay generous expenses.)
We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions, and we won't make you code on a whiteboard!